Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cherry Cola Jell-O Mold



This mold needed a lot of updating from the original recipe.
It is also the only one that I ever thought smelled gross.
Smells must really trigger memories, because this one reminded me of when I was a kid and my mom used to mix cherry cough syrup into cola to get me to take it. YUCK! Actually, I don't remember her doing that, but I can remember the taste, so she must have at some point. Luckily, this tastes nothing like that, it's actually very good. But I think I would modernize it a little bit more.
Here's the original recipe:

But I made mine as follows:
1 can cola
1/2 cup water
1 package 3 oz cherry Jell-O
1 envelope gelatin
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
(I tried dates as suggested, but I would have preferred cherries.)

Bring water and half a can of cola to a boil. Mix cherry Jell-O with gelatin in a glass bowl. Pour in boiling cola and water and mix until the gelatin is dissolved. Mix in the other can of cola. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in nuts and cherries. Chill until firm and unmold. Makes about 3 cups.

Enjoy!
T

No comments: