Monday, January 11, 2010

Macaroon Velvet Jell-O Mold

I first saw this recipe in my 1910 Jell-O recipe book, then later in the 1931 Greater Jell-O recipe book and also in the 1963 Joys of Jell-O recipe book. And I figured if it's been in the Jell-O recipe book for over 60 years, it has to be a pretty good recipe.
Strangely, It's not in the 1975, The New Joys of Jell-O recipe book. I guess by then people had gotten tired of it, or perhaps people just didn't know what macaroons were anymore. But now that macaroons are once again gaining popularity, perhaps this recipe will be in style again. And since macaroons are one of my new favorite cookies, I decided to try this recipe with my hand full of leftover macaroons from Christmas.



I ended up using the 1931 recipe only I used strawberry Jell-O instead of cherry, I added 1 envelope gelatin, I decreased the amount of water by 1/4 cup and I toasted the almonds in 1T. of butter before I added them. Personally, I think it's the butter that made this recipe so good.

The 1910 Recipe:





The 1931 Recipe:




The 1963 Recipe:




Enjoy!
T

No comments: