Wednesday, June 10, 2009

neptune salad mold



By Jove!
May the gods strike down the creators of this Jell-O recipe and smite them into the dust of the earth! There again, I must be forgiving and not judge them too harshly. They either don't have a highly developed palate, or who knows, this could actually be quite delicious. I wouldn't know. I haven't the courage to try this one.

I found this recipe in one of my American Home Magazines from 1954 under the headline "Take a Jar of Mayonnaise." Unfortunately, someone cut out a recipe on the opposite side of the page and now I'm left with only half the recipe. So we will never be able to make it the way it was originally intended. However, I have been able to scrap together at least part of the recipe and I've filled in the blanks as best I can. Here it is as follows:

1 pkg. lime-flavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups hot water
5 T. vinegar

Add hot water to gelatin; Stir until dissolved. Add vinegar. Chill until slightly thickened. Pour small amount of gelatin on the bottom of the mold. Arrange cucumbers and pepper slices and add the rest of the gelatin. Chill until set. When cool... (This is where things start to get cut off.)
It appears that the rest of the ingredients are:

1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. something I can't make out for the life of me
7-oz. can of chucked... something... crab meat? tuna? salmon? take your pick.
1/3 cup? finely sliced cucumbers
1/4 cup? minced onions
1/4 cup? thinly sliced pimintos
1 cup? mayonnaise.
Honestly, I'm surprised it doesn't call for a whole jar.

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup hot water

Lettuce

Dissolve gelatin in hot water. Add mayonnaise stir. Add remaining ingredients. Cool. When slightly thickened, turn onto firm gelatin in mold. Chill until firm. Unmold on lettuce leaves.

Serves 8 • 170 cal. per serving • Source of vitamins A, B, D

And there you have it.
The Neptune Salad Mold, as close as I can get it to the original recipe.

Enjoy!
T

p.s. Don't forget to garnish this with your leftover mayonnaise and lettuce!

No comments: