Sunday, February 28, 2010

Turkish Delight

I've been trying to find the perfect Applets and Cotlets/Turkish Delight recipe for a very long time now, so I was ecstatic to see this recipe in my new 1943 Knox Gelatin Cookbook. I tried making an apple pate de fruit this Christmas, but it took FOREVER, and it was sort of a flop. It just didn't have the Applets and Cotlets texture I was looking for. This recipe, like my last, was also not exactly what I had in mind. This one tastes... well a lot like Jell-O, or more like a gummy candy with walnuts. They're very good, and they were really easy to make, they just weren't the traditional variety I had hoped for. Next time I think I'm going to try a cornstarch version like the recipe here.





For a change, I followed this recipe word for word. The only thing I did differently was grease my meat loaf pan with butter as a precaution, since this recipe has so much more sugar than what I normally use. But I don't think that it was necessary, since it came out of the pan quite easily. I also used fresh squeezed orange and lemon juice, no silly concentrates, this recipe needs the real thing.

The cover of my new 1943 Knox Gelatin Cookbook.


And if you're feeling brave you can try this Knox Butter Spread recipe. Make your butter go farther with milk, salt, and gelatin... I have a feeling this would be a very sorry substitute for the real thing. But perhaps if I'm bored one day, I'll give it a try.

Enjoy!
T

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that you are looking for turkish delight recipes- it's one of my favorites. I think it is usually flavored with a rose water giving it that yummy floral taste. Did you like this recipe? Please post if you ever find a good one.
Thanks-
TracyCakes

Unknown said...

Oh & I hope you've seen this site - it's really a gas.
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/beanmushroom.html
Tracycakes

Lael said...

So did you ever try that other recipe? I tried it last night, and it turned out too soft. I'm going to try it again with a few modifications.